Standardized tests and college applications cost money, but that shouldn’t stop you from going after your dreams, especially if it’s a test like the SAT®. Registering for the SAT is not free for everyone, but before you make your decision based on funds, you should also know that the College Board® offers SAT fee waivers. Students who qualify for the fee waiver will be able to take the SAT test for free and receive a variety of additional benefits.
Benefits of SAT Fee Waivers
SAT fee waivers offer a host of benefits other than just covering your test fees. Let’s learn about them from the bullets below:
- You can get up to two registration fees waived off for your exam.
- Make sure you subscribe for the free Answer Services option while registering for the SAT. Up to two services are offered for free. These help you understand how you answered the different types of questions on the test.
- You can also get access to free Question-and-Answer Service (QAS) or the Student Answer Service (SAS) while ordering for Answer Services.
- Fee waivers also give you access to unlimited score reports.
- Zero cancellation charges if you’re unable to take the SAT.
- You also get access to reduced or zero college application fees. Check with your prospective college to avail this option.
- A fee waiver also gives you free access to CSS Profile® applications. Use it to get financial aid from participating schools.
- If you’re a U.S. student taking the test from outside the U.S. or its territories, the Regional Fee for you will be waived off.
Who Is Eligible for the SAT Fee Waiver?
Low-income 11th and 12th-grade students living in the United States or abroad can take advantage of SAT fee waivers. If you meet one or more of the following requirements, you are eligible to get the fee waiver:
- You are enrolled in or qualified for the federal National School Lunch Program (NSLP).
- Your family’s annual income falls within the Income Eligibility Guidelines established by the Food and Nutrition Service of the USDA.
- You are enrolled in a federal, state, or local program that assists kids from low-income families.
- Your family receives government aid.
- You are homeless, or you live in federally funded public housing or a foster care system.
- You’re either a state ward or an orphan.
If you are homeschooled and meet the above requirements, you may be able to get fee waivers.
Can international students receive fee waivers?
International students are not eligible to receive the SAT fee waiver. But if you are a foreigner living and taking the test in the U.S. or U.S. territories, you may be eligible. Reach out to your school counselor to learn more.
How to Get the SAT Fee Waiver Code?
Your high school counselor will be able to assist you in getting a fee waiver. Once your eligibility has been determined, your counselor will give you a code that you can use to sign up online. This code will allow you to register for two SAT tests. You will not need to re-enroll for the College Board to waive your fees. The next time you register for the exam online, your College Board account will automatically waive the fees.
If you are homeschooled, simply reach out to a high school near you, and the school counselors in your area will be able to help you get the forms you need. The high school counselor will look at your tax records or other proof that you have been signed up for public aid or help to decide if you are eligible. Be sure to bring any forms or documents you need when checking for eligibility.
How to use the SAT fee waiver when registering online?
You will need to use the fee waiver when registering for the SAT at the College Board website. Follow the steps bulleted below:
- Click on “My SAT” after signing in to your College Board account
- Enter the 12-digit fee waiver code under the “Got a Fee Waiver Code” section
- Finish the registration process
Can I use the fee waiver when registering by mail?
Once a counselor has determined your eligibility, you can opt for a registration card that will waive your fees. You will fill out the information on the card and include it with your registration forms. Be sure to fill out any necessary information. Incomplete forms and registration cards are not accepted when registering for the SAT.
How do I accept SAT fee waivers?
If you are eligible or have a fee waiver code, you can accept a fee waiver on your “My SAT” homepage. Just follow the steps below to accept a fee waiver:
- Visit the College Board website.
- Go to your “My SAT” account.
- Review the eligibility prompt’s terms on this page, then click on ‘Continue’.
- Enter your 12-digit fee waiver code and then click the ‘Submit’ button to accept the waiver.
If you qualify for a fee waiver, you can register for the SAT and begin preparing to do your best on the test. Start by setting a goal score that is based on past acceptances from your prospective colleges and universities. From there, you can work on your weak points to improve your performance. We can help you prep! Study faster and smarter with UWorld’s SAT Prep Course and get the best possible score on the SAT.